Share This Recipe
This apple strudel recipe adds raisins, lemon rind, almonds and spices for a sweet, complex taste.
- 6 cups of tart apples, sliced
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1 grated lemon rind
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup ground almonds
- 8 ounces thawed phyllo pastry
- 1 3/4 cups melted butter
- 1 cup finely crushed breadcrumbs
- Confectioner’s sugar for topping
- Mix apples with raisins, lemon rind, sugar, cinnamon and almonds.
- Place 1 phyllo leaf on a towel and brush with melted butter.
- Place a second leaf on top and brush with butter.
- Repeat until 5 leaves have been used, using about 1/2 cup of butter.
- Cook and stir bread crumbs in pan with 1/4 cup of butter until lightly browned.
- Sprinkle 3/4 cup crumbs on the layered phyllo leaves.
- Mound 1/2 of the filling in a 3-inch strip along the narrow end of the phyllo, leaving a 2-inch border.
- Lift towel, using it to roll leaves over apples, jelly roll fashion.
- Brush top of the strudel with butter and sprinkle with 2 tbsp crumbs.
- Repeat the entire procedure for the second strudel.
- Bake the strudels at 400°F for 20 to 25 minutes, until browned.