Share This Recipe
The art of the classic apple pie is a true labor of love. It’s not a quick process; it demands your full dedication and attention over several hours. To bake an apple pie is to bake with your heart and dish up true passion.
- 4 pounds apples, peeled, cored and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2/3 cup of white granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp of coarse baking sugar for dusting
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Juice of 2 lemons, around 3 tbsp
- 6 tbsp of unsalted butter, diced
- 2 tbsp of white all-purpose flour
- 2 round disks of pie dough, lightly dusted with flour
- 1 tbsp of water
- 1 small egg, beaten
1. In a large mixing bowl, add the apples and lemon juice, and then use your hands to gently fold and coat the lemon juice across the apples to prevent browning. Once coated, toss in the cinnamon and salt, and fold once more to blend them all together.
2. Gently melt the butter into a large skillet, and slowly add the sugar, stirring until you have a melted butter thick with sugar.
3. And then add the apples to the pan and simmer over medium heat until slightly tender, around 15 minutes. Once tender, mix in the flour and stir for a moment longer, or until the juices in the pan are thick. Remove the apples from the heat, and allow them to cool to room temperature.
4. Lightly dust your pie dish with flour, and place the first dough disk along the bottom of the pan, before filling with the cooled apples. Then top with the second pie disk; the mound will be high, so ensure that your second disk is slightly larger than the first to cover the mound of apples.
5. Using a pastry brush, lightly coat the edges of the bottom disk with egg and then use your hands to press the top and bottom disk together. Fold the overhang dough under itself and then crimp the edges between your fingers to create a waved edge.
6. Add the water to remaining egg and lightly brush the top of the pie with it, then sprinkle with sugar. Cut a few slits on the top for vents and then refrigerate for 2 hours.
7. While the pie chills, place a large baking sheet on the lower middle rack of your oven, and preheat it to 425F. Before placing your pie on the hot baking sheet, apply 2 inch strips of foil to the edges to prevent over browning, then place in the oven and immediately reduce the heat to 375 and bake for an hour.
8. After 45 minutes remove the foil, and rotate the pie.
9. Once baked, move to cooling rack and allow it to rest for 2 hours before serving.