Share This Recipe
Here, Stemilt’s delicious Piñata® apple is paired with bright, lightly dressed, leafy greens dotted with slices of crisp celery; hearty mixed grains of quinoa, millet, and buckwheat popped with bits of toasted walnuts and slivered green onion; a heart-healthy helping of edamame (an excellent source of protein if following a plant-based diet); and, sweet wedges of roasted delicata squash. The greens are tossed with a lemon-honey-miso vinaigrette, with extra served alongside to drizzle overtop. It’s a great salad, but an even better bowl of nutritious goodness, with Piñata® apples at the forefront – a perfect selection for their delightful crunch and bright, juicy, sweet-tart, slightly tropical flavor.
This recipe is also one that delivers important macronutrients – protein, carbohydrates, and fat – which help provide energy or “fuel” for the body. The USDA Dietary Reference Intake recommendations for adults is that 45-65% of the calories from any given meal comes from carbohydrates, 10-35% of calories come from protein, and 20-35% of calories come from fats, particularly unsaturated fats. The protein-carb-fat ratio for this apple, grains, and greens bowl recipe is 12%-12%-36%. A little more low-carb than recommended, but right in line for fats (and healthy fats at that) and protein. Apples, of course, are naturally free of fat, sodium, and cholesterol, and a great source of dietary fiber.
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Scant 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp white miso paste
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch kosher salt
- 1 large Stemilt apple, halved, cored and sliced into thin wedges
- 1 cup cooked grains (a blend of “super grains” — a mix of white and red quinoa, millet and buckwheat, cooked according to package directions), cooled to room temp
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 1/3 cup toasted walnut pieces
- 2 cups mixed leafy greens, lightly packed
- 1 stalk celery, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 10 to 12 slices of roasted delicata squash
- 2 cups cooked, shelled edamame (cooked according to package directions), cooled to room temp
- 6 leaves butter lettuce
In a small mixing bowl, combine grains, green onion and walnuts. Set aside.
In a separate bowl, combine leafy greens, celery and 2 to 3 tablespoons of vinaigrette, tossing lightly to combine. Set aside.
Arrange 3 leaves of butter lettuce in the bottom of each of two salad bowls.
Then individually arrange grains, mixed greens, edamame, and roasted squash equally among two bowls, leaving an area in each bowl to fan out wedges of Pinata® apples. Serve immediately, with additional vinaigrette to drizzle atop, if desired.