Share This Recipe
There is a certain sweetness that comes with late winter, early spring salads. Especially when you include apples among your ingredients. Sweet, juicy, unmistakably fresh apples bring that farm to table taste to life, especially in this apple, fennel, celery and walnut slaw.
Despite how simple it is to make, this recipe comes with a big bold taste that lends a gourmet quality. You can use nearly any apple variety in this slaw, but the Pink Lady, with it’s delicate pink tones and floral notes is a best bet.
If you are looking for a leafier take on this slaw, toss it with baby arugula, spinach and field greens and add in a dash of whole grain mustard for an added kick. It takes this delicate slaw to a bold salad with little effort.
- 1 cup of celery, top, tailed and thinly sliced
- 1 cup of fennel, trimmed, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 Stemilt apple, cored, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 nob of hard cheese, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 5 walnuts, chopped
- Whisk together the lemon juice and olive oil and set aside. Use a mandolin to thinly slice the celery, fennel and Pink Lady apples.
- Once done toss into a mixing bowl, top with the lemon juice and oil blend, and gently toss. Transfer to a bowl, garnish with hard cheese and walnuts, season with salt and pepper to taste.